Despite receiving rave reviews, Blade Runner 2049 opened to a disappointing $31.5 million at the Box Office this past weekend. The real reason, despite the super long runtime and ‘R’ rating; was it’s inability to connect to young audience members. Less than 25% of ticket sales were young people, which is a death knell at the Box Office.
The other debuts of The Mountain Between Us and My Little Pony: The Movie came in 2nd and 4th places with $10.1 million and $8.8 million, respectively. You can see the rest of the Top Ten below.
1. Blade Runner 2049 $31.5 million
2. The Mountain Between Us $10.1 million
3. Stephen King’s IT $9.7 million
4. My Little Pony: The Movie $8.8 million
5. Kingsman: The Golden Circle $8.1 million
6. American Made $8.1 million
7. The LEGO Ninjago Movie $6.8 million
8. Victoria and Abdul $4.1 million
9. Flatliners $3.8 million
10. Battle of the Sexes $2.4 million
Next week, we have the releases of Jackie Chan‘s latest film, The Foreigner and Blumhouse’s Happy Death Day. I’m putting my money on the latter being able to clean up at the Box Office, as it looks truly fantastic and a fun little Friday the 13th flick. Find out if I’m right in the next edition of Weekend Roundup!