I’m not even sure how much of a write-up will be needed for the next Month or so. It’s all Star Wars, all the time. The Force Awakens took in $238million and decimated every record ever made. The newcomers of Alvin and Chipmunks and Sisters took in $14.4mil and $13.4 respectively for the 2nd and 3rd spots. You can see the rest of the Top Ten below.
1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens $238 million
2. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip $14.4 million
3. Sisters $13.4 million
4. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2 $5.7 million
5. Creed $5.1 million
6. The Good Dinosaur $4.2 million
7. Krampus $3.8 million
8. In the Heart of the Sea $3.5 million
9. Dilwale $1.9 million
10. Bajirao Mastani $1.7 million
Just to put some of the success of The Force Awakens in perspective, heres a little ‘by the numbers’ bullet points.
- Biggest Thursday preview gross with $57M.
- Biggest Friday and biggest single-day gross with $120.5M.
- First film ever to post a single day over $100M.
- Fastest film to $100M and $200M.
- Biggest December debut (nearly 3 times previous record of $84.6M).
- Biggest IMAX Thursday night preview ($5.7M), single-day ($14M, Friday), and weekend ($30.1M).
- Highest theater average for a wide release ($57,568).
- Biggest opening weekend of all time in UK (4-day), Australia, Russia, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Austria, Poland (3-day), Denmark (5-day), Romania, Hungary, Bulgaria, Croatia, Ukraine, Iceland, Serbia, New Zealand. Second biggest opening weekend in France, Belgium, Israel, Chile.
- Biggest IMAX global debut of $48M.
It’s no doubt that Star Wars will continue to dominate the Box Office for the next Month or so. Given that it’s not opening in China until Jan. 9th, which is vastly becoming the leader in Box Office revenue; The Force Awakens isn’t leaving the Top Ten for a long while. Just how much will it make next week? Stay Tooned for the next edition of Weekend Roundup to find out.