In a surpsie to aboslutely no one at all, Star Wars The Force Awakens takes it’s second straight win at the Box Office. The film continues to shatter every record ever made and has already crossed the $1Billion mark in Worldwide sales. The movie has achieved this in just 12 days and hasn’t even opened up in China. At this pace, the movie is likely to beat out Avatar, as long as it continues to be a juggernaut throughout January.
There were some other films that went up against Episode VII and actually didn’t fare all that bad. Will Ferrel‘s Daddy’s Home came in second with $38.8million. Newcomers: Joy, Concussion, Point Break, and The Hateful Eight all made the Top Ten and you can see their earnings below.
1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens $153.5 million
2. Daddy’s Home $38.8 million
3. Joy $17.5 million
4. Sisters $13.9 million
5. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip $12.7 million
6. Concussion $11 milion
7. The Big Short $10.5 million
8. Point Break $10.2 million
9. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2 $5.3 million
10. The Hateful Eight $4.5 million
Next weekend, we see a wider release of The Revenant and Hateful Eight. While that’s fantastic for those films to gain more exposure; they’ll both not even come close to what Star Wars will haul in. Find out just how much MORE money it will make on the next edition of Weekend Roundup.