Oh Alamo Drafthouse, why can’t you be closer to Rochester, NY where I live? They are doing another awesome thing by partnering with ScreenPlus and Vista Cinema to launch their new VOD platform, Alamo On Demand. Read more about this ambitious new project below.
Your new video store. A 100% curated platform from
Alamo Drafthouse programmers, with studio partners that include
Lionsgate, Magnolia Pictures, NEON,
Sony Pictures Classics, and more.
VOD offerings include acclaimed hits PARASITE, ARKANSAS,
PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE, Fantastic Fest favorites BURNING
and FIRST LOVE, and premieres of SPACESHIP EARTH
and KATE NASH: UNDERESTIMATE THE GIRL.
Alamo Drafthouse Cinema has partnered with ScreenPlus and Vista Cinema to launch their new VOD platform, Alamo On Demand, boasting a growing library of entertainment for rental or purchase that’s been carefully curated by the company’s programming team. This new service allows the cinema company, which operates 41 locations in the United States as well as the influential genre film festival Fantastic Fest, to champion innovative and exciting films far beyond its auditoriums.
Alamo On Demand is available now at ondemand.drafthouse.com, with apps for iOS and Android coming very soon.
“I’ll describe the scenario that sold me on the ScreenPlus platform,” said Tim League, Alamo Drafthouse founder and Executive Chairman. “Alamo Drafthouse had been promoting PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE to our guests for months. We love people to see films in the cinema first and foremost, but the reality is not everyone can always make the time for every movie they want to see. This platform allows us to give folks who missed PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE in cinemas another chance to see it, which is simply an extension of our enthusiasm and support for the film. Alamo On Demand helps us to continue the conversation past the theatrical window and recommend movies we love to our community. And in these shuttered days and beyond, these rentals and purchases help support your neighborhood theater.”
To create the Alamo On Demand platform, the company collaborated with longtime cinema management software partner, Vista Cinema. By integrating existing backend systems (film scheduling, weekly emails, online ticketing and the Alamo’s Victory loyalty program), the Vista platform can provide meaningful offers to guests of Alamo. In the future, rentals and purchases on Alamo On Demand will provide loyalty program credit, and, as an example, immediately after theatrical screenings, guests may receive a discount on the future purchase of the movie they just watched.
“Every title on the platform has a champion on the Alamo programming team,” says Sarah Pitre, Alamo Drafthouse’s Senior Director of Programming and Promotions. “Alamo On Demand is a curated library, with each film nominated and personally recommended by a programmer.”
Alamo Drafthouse’s programming team will curate their personal recommendations as new content is added. For example, Weird Wednesday programmer Laird Jimenez will highlight forgotten genre film classics, while Champagne Cinema and Afternoon Tea creator Sarah Pitre will curate her favorite female-driven films. Evrim Ersoy, programming director of Fantastic Fest, will use the platform to champion past festival favorites as well as exclusive and never-before-seen-online content from Fantastic Fest veteran filmmakers. And to get guests excited for studio tentpole releases, Alamo Drafthouse can augment their in-theater marketing with video rental packages of a director’s past films, for example, or a collection of films that specifically influenced the upcoming movie.
“Many of us learned about movies thanks to the staff picks at our local video stores. That’s the spirit of what we’re trying to do with Alamo On Demand,” says Henri Mazza, Alamo Drafthouse Vice President of Content, Sponsorship, and Events. “Even though we can’t gather in theaters right now, our programmers will still be curating new and classic films for our nationwide community of fellow movie lovers, and hosting conversations online as well.”
In the coming weeks, Alamo On Demand will welcome new partners such as Sony Pictures Classics and is in discussions with all the other major studios.
In parallel, users can expect more deep curation of classic films. For example, later this year, Severin Films will be launching the definitive “Brucesploitation” documentary ENTER THE CLONES OF BRUCE, about the hundreds of Bruce Lee imitator films that flooded the market after his untimely death. Alamo On Demand will pair the doc with a deep collection of the referenced films available for rental either solo or as a binge package to watch over 21 days.
From tentpole studio releases to tiny rare gems, Alamo On Demand will feature a stunning array of films – something for everyone – but always with trusted curation.
“We’re thrilled to have Alamo Drafthouse on board, and looking to seeing the reaction from fans and the community”, says Leon Newnham, CEO of Vista Cinema.
Current and Upcoming Alamo On Demand Partners and Titles
● Lionsgate’s ARKANSAS, APOCALYPSE NOW FINAL CUT, JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 3 – PARABELLUM, LA LA LAND, A SIMPLE FAVOR, KNIVES OUT, and DIRTY DANCING.
● NEON’s Academy Award Best Picture Winner PARASITE and PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE, as well as the documentary premiere of SPACESHIP EARTH.
● An exclusive premiere of the new documentary KATE NASH: UNDERESTIMATE THE GIRL, which will include a livestream Q&A and performance by Kate Nash.
● Magnolia Pictures’ RBG, SKATE KITCHEN and RAISE HELL: THE LIFE AND TIMES OF MOLLY IVINS.
● Director Paul Thomas Anderson’s music documentary JUNUN.
● Severin Films and Alejandro Jodorowsky’s modern masterpiece SANTA SANGRE.
● Well Go USA’s 2018 South Korean masterpiece BURNING, starring Steven Yeun and considered by many to be one of the best films of the 2010s.
● Drafthouse Films’ entire catalog, including Academy Award nominees THE ACT OF KILLING, THE LOOK OF SILENCE, and BULLHEAD, as well as the acclaimed Riz Ahmed breakthrough film FOUR LIONS.
● A “movie riffing” screening of the rediscovered cult classic ROAR from the renowned comedy collective Master Pancake Theater.
● Shout! Factory’s Ramones-starring classic ROCK ‘N’ ROLL HIGH SCHOOL.
● A wealth of restored genre films from American Genre Film Archive like Ed Wood’s TAKE IT OUT IN TRADE and NINJA ZOMBIE.
● Family programming like the New York International Children’s Film Festival’s KID FLICKS ONE AND TWO, two programs of award-winning and audience favorite family shorts from the NYICFF 2019 festival, and the 50th anniversary restoration of Harry Nilsson’s THE POINT.
Alamo On Demand is live now at ondemand.drafthouse.com
Alamo Drafthouse links
On Demand ondemand.drafthouse.com