When I came across this project on the interwebs I was interested immediately. I love hand-drawn games and this style truly reminds me of the movies I watched as a young lad. Pirates, I also love pirates! It would seem that Curse of the Sea Rats is right up my alley and it was a good thing I backed it! Congrats to the hard working people who made this project possible. Check out the release below mateys!
Hand-drawn Ratoidvania Curse of the Sea Rats Pledges $273k on Kickstarter
Coming to Switch, PS4, Xbox One and Steam in 2021
Barcelona, Spain –July 2020– Due to the support of almost 6k backers, independent games developer Petoons Studio pledged $273k, 1600% of it’s original goal on Kickstarter, to fund the production and development of Curse of the Sea Rats last Friday.
Curse of the Sea Rats is a 4 player local co-op multiplayer epic hand-drawn ratoidvania coming to Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Steam in 2021 starred by a group of heroes transformed into rats by a pirate witch.
“We are very proud to have exceeded every expectation about the success of Curse of the Sea Rats on Kickstarter”, says Sergio Garcia, CEO at Petoons Studio. “We are excited to launch this awaited adventure in the first half of next year”.
Packing all of the best features from the metroidvania genre, Curse of the Sea Rats features beautiful 2D animation and 3D environments, combined with unique real-time combat mechanics.
Explore the island, battle diabolic creatures, and fight brutal bosses commanded by the evil pirate Flora Burn. Forge your own path to freedom in a non-linear quest through the vast and mysterious coast of Ireland in 1777.
- Classic hand-drawn animation like the golden era of Disney and Don Bluth.
- A perfect mix of 2D models crafted on a 3D game environment for a 2.5D side-scrolling platformer experience.
- Explore a huge map with hundreds of rooms, in a non-linear quest, solving puzzles, and fighting enemies in the coast of Ireland in 1777.
- 5 playable characters, jam-packed with weapons and special abilities to upgrade.
- Discover all the secret rooms, special items, and multiple endings.
- Single-player mode: more than 12 hours of gameplay for the main quest
- Local Co-Op Multiplayer mode: up to 4 players.
- Spectacular hand-drawn intros, ending and animations to discover the story behind the characters.
- Featuring “The Ghost Ship” Survival mode, “The Eternal Curse” New Game Plus mode, and “The Pirate’s Revenge” Hardcore Solo mode.
- Full localization in English, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Czech and Catalan.