I have a bit of a shark addiction, I’ve always had one since I was a wee lad. It’s because of Jaws that I wanted to be a marine biologist, but also because of Jaws that I have a huge fear of the ocean. You can clearly see the issue here. Nonetheless, I never hesitate to watch Jaws when it is on TV; so when it was up for pre-order on Blu-ray I immediately ordered it. I also own 2 different versions of Jaws on DVD, and all three of its sequels, couple of IOS games, and oh and check this out…..
You know I never forget a towel! Last thing, then I promise I will actually get to the review. In 2009, my wife (girlfriend at the time) and I went to Universal Studios in Orlando; and of course you know what the main ride of the day for me was going to be. Unfortunatly, bastards were doing repairs and I never got to experience it, MAYBE the biggest disappointment of my life! My wife was relieved though, she was convinced that I was going to propose to her when Jaws comes outta the water, Mallrats style. C’est la vie.
On to the review, thanks for stickin’ with me 😉
When you are anticipating something so much, sometimes you don’t get the right feeling for it at first, this happens to me a lot with Blu-ray. My expectations get set a little high. At first I didn’t like what I saw, opening beach scene looked gritty, perhaps the lack of light was the big culprit. Even in the water when the girl is being attacked by the shark, still dark and grainy. Who knows, maybe it was shot on a crappier camera, but it doesn’t matter anywho, that was me being picky. Come the next day when Brody is summoned to the beach you see Amity Island shine with glourious color and detail! I love the feeling of watching a movie I have seen SO many times before, come alive on Blu-ray because it really seems like I’m seeing it again for the first time. This is why I buy the format. The reason why I will own 3 versions of the same film (6 if its Blade Runner). The soundtrack is one of my favorites of all time! John Williams has never sounded better, the classic Jaws theme rumbles hauntingly with the awesome DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1! Wish I had that many speakers in my house, by my soundbar will suffice, FOR NOW. The only thing that irked me about this release was that Spielberg still has not recorded a commentary track, but I can get past that. People are always calling out for a remake. I say nay! You can never replicate the “Hitchcockian” vibes that ran beautifully through the film, instead you would get a gore fest in tune with films that are being offered now like Shark Night.
It’s almost difficult to fathom that this film is almost 40 years old, especially when it provides such a high quality video and audio experience! It really blew my mind! A movie that still holds its own today and will withstand the test of time, Jaws will always have a special place in my life. It both created great fascination and terrorized me at the same time! For this disc, I would go back in the water (and I hardly go in the Ocean).
5 Stars outta 5. This is an example of where Blu-ray truly delivers! It will definitely make its way into my top 5 of 2012.
- Digitally remastered and fully restored from high resolution 35MM original film elements to get the most from your HDTV
- Digital Copy of Jaws (download by 12/31/2013)
- UltraViolet Copy of Jaws (download/redeem by 12/31/2013)
- The Shark is Still Working: The Impact & Legacy of Jaws – All-new feature-length documentary featuring never-before-seen footage and interviews with cast and crew including Steven Spielberg, Richard Dreyfuss and Roy Scheider
- The Making of Jaws: A feature-length documentary featuring interviews with key cast and crew
- Jaws: The Restoration – An all-new in-depth look at the intricate process of restoring the movie
- Deleted Scenes and Outtakes From the Set: An insider’s look at life on the set of Jaws, featuring an interview with Steven Spielberg Storyboards Production Photos
- Marketing Jaws
- Jaws Phenomenon
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- pocket BLU: App for smartphones and tablets – take content on the go! BD-Live: Internet-connected features
- My Scenes: Bookmark your favorite scenes
Stay tooned 😛