When Moonlighter was first released for the Nintendo Switch two years ago, I was intrigued about what I was seeing. The game took the old-school dungeon crawling that I grew up with and mixed it with some updated gameplay and a lot of fun. Of course, like a dummy, I dragged my feet and never picked it up. When I saw that the expansion pack for ‘Between Dimensions‘ was being unveiled, I knew the time had come. I had to play this game! Before I get into Between Dimensions, let me back up a little bit to tell you what the world of Moonlighter is all about.
Moonlighter is an Action RPG with rogue-lite elements and a unique twist. You take on the role of Will, a lowly shopkeeper by day that dreams of being a hero. At night, he takes to the dungeons to loot for treasures that he’ll later sell back to the people of Rynoka. So, it really blends action, roleplaying, and shopkeeping simulation in a way that’s never been done before. In fact, I’m not sure that I’ve ever done a shopkeeping simulation in my years of video gaming, but there’s a first time for everything. It’s kinda cool to take the town interaction that takes place in the daytime set against a backdrop of monster killing and looting in the evening. You can upgrade your weapons and revitalize the town as you go from dungeon to harder dungeon.
The game plays very easily on the Nintendo Switch, with each button on the controller used for something; be it the map, fighting, inventory control and otherwise. I also enjoyed the soundtrack quite a bit as I traversed the town and then took out baddies. It was a pleasure to listen to the music. In the expansion known as ‘Between Dimensions’ you get an all-new Interdimensional Dungeon thats filled with even more armor, weapons, enemies, and of course LOOT! Its great taking the new goodies and selling them back at your shop to trade and sell to customers. The expansion of the game even includes some free content that you get as a free upgrade to your original game. The developers Digital Sun and Publisher 11 bit studios really went out of their way to get the fans of the game even more immersed in the world.
If you’re looking to get into a classic action RPG this is the game for you. Been looking forward to selling things to customers and and haggling prices in a simulated 16-bit world? Well, this is also the game for you. Moonlighter and it’s expansions, Between Dimensions, absolutely ticked off a lot of boxes for me as a video game fan. The action was fast-paced and fun, the shopkeeping elements were refreshing and fun, the soundtrack was great, and the controls were smooth. I absolutely recommend you picking it up for all major consoles today!
The Between Dimensions expansion requires finishing the base game first but brings a great number of goodies to Xbox One, PS4, and Nintendo Switch. Please note that some content listed below will be available to all owners of the game free of charge.
- A brand-new Interdimensional Dungeon (with a chance for it to appear as a Corrupted Dungeon in the original dungeons!)
- 10 all-new original enemies and 5 minibosses
- A full set of weapons with a new short sword, a large sword, bow, gloves, and spear
- A new set of armor with a helmet, chest, and boots
- Trick weapons – 10 unique weapons in total – both powerful… and punishing!
- New rings for boosting Will’s passive abilities
- New shop upgrade allowing Will to showcase his new Interdimensional Items
- New customers wanting to trade and an unfamiliar NPC: The Trader
- Additional story and lore
- New thieves to invade your shop (free content)
- A new client – the indecisive customer (free content)
- A bothersome bird terrorizing your customers (free content)
Find out more about Moonlighter at:
Find Moonlighter at: