Earlier this month we heard from TMNT creator, Kevin Eastman, that the the fans shouldn’t fear the franchise reboot, because he had,
“…talked to [producer] Scott Mednick yesterday, and he’s seen the most recent 50 [script] pages and said it’s as good as the last version — they’ve really knocked it out of the park,” Eastman said. “I’ve seen a chunk of it, and it’s going to be a great movie, despite what everybody thinks.”
Today we learned from TMNT, NOT TANT have gotten a copy of a leaked script, and Eastman isn’t being exactly truthful with the fans. That, or he’s gone completely bonkers on toxic ooze and doesn’t even know what he’s talking about. The site actually received a cease and desist letter from Paramount Pictures regarding the Jonathan Liebesman directed and Michael Bay produced reboot. I guess the blog, which clearly hates the whole “alien” idea just judging by their name, had posted up actual images of the copied screenplay.
If what is being said about the screenplay is true, well this movie sounds like it might need even more reworking…with Shredder’s claws. I’ve been a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fan for as long as I can remember. And honestly, I didn’t really care they were aliens. Just like I didn’t care that in the Transformers movies, they weren’t EXACTLY like they were in the cartoons. These movies can be a little kiddy, and as long as the action is cool, I could really care less. But, some of the excerpt from this are really pushing it. Check out some of this crap.
- The villain is named Colonel Schrader (get it?) and his army squad is referred to as The Foot.
- Casey Jones and April O’Neill are 18 year old high school sweethearts and the central focus of the movie. Think Shia LaBeouf and Megan Fox from TRANSFORMERS. Oh yeah, this is a Michael Bay production, isn’t it?
- The Turtles cross over to Dimension X and discover they are not the random result of a mutation due to a chemical spill but rather part of an entire race of mutant turtles. Wait, they are both. Huh? You mean their random accidental origin is also part of larger conspiracy? Is this THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN or NINJA TURTLES?
- RAPHAEL: “That damn frog was right: ‘It ain’t easy being green.'”
- RAPHAEL: “Kung Fu? What do we look like, cartoon Panda Bears? We’re trained in Ninjitsu. And we don’t just know it, we serve it for breakfast…”
Someone else alerted me to the existence of this script, and I just a few minutes ago finished reading it. If it is, in fact, the actual draft that was rejected and caused the production of the next TMNT movie to be pushed back to 2014 because the script was unsatisfactory, then I think all true TMNT fans should be grateful to the new “powers that be” that they did not allow this wretched thing to go any further. It could definitely be taken as a good sign if that is the case.
It reminds me of one of the reasons I am glad to not own the property anymore… because I don’t have to tear what little hair I have left out while trying to fix junk like this. — PL
So, you heard it from the man himself. Thank goodness this is all not true. Pheww. We will keep you posted as more TMNT news comes in. Honestly, I’m a Michael Bay fan, and as much as some people complain about Transformers, I honestly don’t think he’d let THAT Turtles movie get made. I’m sure has shell it was just a hoax.
OMG, there’s lag in the guys game in the video clip. THIS GAME BLOWS!