I can remember sitting in my dorm room with my roommate playing the classic Sega Dreamcast and booting up Space Channel 5. It was one of those games that you just kinda played and didn’t take it too serious but it was fun as heck. You danced your way around the space station and I loved it. That’s why I’m so excited to hear about the announcement of Space Channel 5 VR: Kinda Funky News Flash! Learn more about this VR epic-ness below!
Grounding Inc. (Headquarter: Minato-ku, Tokyo CEO: Mineko Okamura) is excited to announce that the long-awaited new entry into the Space Channel 5 franchise is releasing on February 25th, 2020 in North America, Central, and South America, and February 26th in Japan, Europe, and Oceania. Space Channel 5 VR: Kinda Funky News Flash! will be available as a PlayStation® VR (PSVR) downloadable software at launch on the PlayStation™Store for $39.99 USD (¥3980). This is the first standalone game from Sega’s music and dance-themed masterpiece franchise to be released in 18 years, which also celebrated its 20 year anniversary on December 16, 2019.
Members of the original development team have returned to usher Space Channel 5 into a new decade. Space Channel 5 VR: Kinda Funky News Flash! is set in “Space Channel 5,” the premiere space TV station of the 25th Century. For the first time, the player will physically join senior reporter Ulala as a rookie, by dancing, posing, and grooving while holding PlayStation®Move motion controllers. Returning cast members join brand new characters in new stages and music for a groovin’ good time.
The English voice cast includes Cherami Leigh taking over the lead role as Ulala, and Tom Clarke-Hill returning to reprise his role as Jaguar. Other cast members include Cassandra Lee Morris as newcomer Kell and Greg Chun as the being terrorizing the galaxy, Glitter.
- Developer: Grounding Inc.
- Genre: Dance musical action
- Release Date:
- February 25, 2020 for North America, Central, and South America
- February 26, 2020 for Japan Europe, and Oceania
- Price: 39.99USD / 3980JPY
- Story Mode: Join Channel 5 as a rookie reporter alongside Ulala
- Arcade: Play an introductory mode recommended for VR beginners
- Trial Dance: Play 100 dances in a row in this exercise and endurance mode
- Viewing: Watch the story again through a third person perspective and multiple camera angles
- Friendopedia: View character biographies
- Dressing Room: Change Ulala’s outfits as you unlock them through the game
- Calories: Track the calories burnt during gameplay
- Rating: E (ESRB), A (CERO), 7 (PEGI)
- Sales Territory: North America, Central America, South America, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, India, Italy, Malta, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, UK, Ukraine
- Platform: PlayStation® VR
- Equipment Requirements: PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR and PlayStation®Camera, 2 PlayStation®Move motion controllers
- Details for additional platforms including HTC VIVE™/SteamVR, and Oculus Quest, languages, and additional territories will be made available at a later date
- Copyright: ©SEGA ©Grounding Inc.
- Official Site: http://www.sc5-vr.com/en
|A live music event to celebrate the game’s release, as well as the franchise’s 20th anniversary, will be held in Shibuya, Japan on March 27, 2020. “Space Channel 5 Ukiuki Music Festival” will feature live DJs, a performance by a horn section, dance performances by the Ulala’s very own choreographer, a talk with Yuki Nakajima, one of the voice actors from “Space Channel 5 VR,” and more. Space Channel 5 VR will be playable at the event, joining merchandise booths, never-before-seen artwork displays, and an auction for rare items all before the main event starts. Tickets are available on through Lawson Ticket only and is on sale now.
More information is available at the event website: sc5-vr.com/musicfes.