There was no doubt in my mind that Into the Spider-Verse would be the winner at the Box Office this weekend. Critics and audiences alike were all praising the film and it easily webswang to earning $35 million. This makes it the strongest opening for an animated film in December, ever. The film bested it’s IMAX rival, Mortal Engines; a movie that cost more to make and only earned $7 million at the Box Office. Like seriously, who even cared about that movie!? The rest of the Top Ten is below.
1. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse $35,400,000
2. The Mule $17,210,000
3. Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch $11,580,000
4. Ralph Breaks the Internet $9,589,000
5. Mortal Engines $7,501,000
6. Creed 2 $5,398,830
7. Bohemian Rhapsody $4,125,000
8. Instant Family $3,720,000
9. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald $3,650,000
10. Green Book $2,780,000
Next weekend, we have the battle of Mary Poppins Returns vs Aquaman. The films are both poised to earn big money but my bet is on DC finally being able to sneak ahead for a win with Aquaman. The James Wan-directed film is getting some high praise, comparing it to films like Avatar and Lord of the Rings. Find out if I’m right on the next edition of Weekend Roundup!