Rogue One has now earned the second biggest opening in a December, ever. The film was able to take in $155 million and put itself right behind Star Wars Episode VII in terms of December premieres. Rogue One opened to critical and now Box Office acclaim, sitting at 84% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. The film couldn’t be touched as the rest of the Top Ten didn’t even equate to half of the earnings of the Star Wars juggernaut. You can see those numbers below.
1. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story $155 million
2. Moana $11.7 million
3. Office Christmas Party $8.5 million
4. Collateral Beauty $7 million
5. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them $5 million
6. Manchester by the Sea $4.2 million
7. La La Land $4 million
8. Arrival $2.8 million
9. Doctor Strange $2 million
10. Nocturnal Animals $1.4 million
Next week I’d expect Rogue One to stay at #1. In fact, with how bad the film Passengers is getting reviewed; I’d say the only other movie that has a chance at usurping it this month is the animated film, Sing. Find out if word of mouth continues to push the numbers of Rogue One into the stratosphere on the next edition of Weekend Roundup!