It’s the final weekend of 2013, and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is taking the top spot at the Box Office again for it’s 3rd week in a row. That’s pretty impressive, as the only other movie to do it this year has been Gravity. With competition from Frozen, Saving Mr. Banks, Anchorman 2, and newcomers: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, The Wolf of Wall Street, Grudge Match and 47 Ronin; The Hobbit had some huge movies to go up against. Looks like Peter Jackson had the recipe for Box Office gold once again.
Title Weekend Total
1. The Hobbit 2 $29,850,000 $190.3
2. Frozen $28,845,000 $248.3
3. Anchorman 2 $20,150,000 $83.6
4. American Hustle $19,550,000 $60
5. The Wolf of Wall Street $18,510,000 $34.3
6. Saving Mr. Banks $14,020,000 $37.8
7. Secret Life of Walter Mitty $13,000,000 $25.5
8. Catching Fire $10,200,000 $391.1
9. 47 Ronin $9,870,000 $20.5
10. A Madea Christmas $7,400,000 $43.7
The real shame is that Grudge Match didn’t even scratch the Top Ten. It doesn’t surprise me though. Seeing two old guys beat each other up in a boxing ring is just about the last thing I’d wanna see at the theatre. Apparently I wasn’t the only person who felt that way.
Next week, we don’t really have any new movies coming out, so I won’t be surprise to see The Hobbit take in another $15mil. Stay Tuned to DFAT and find out what happens!