Here we have it Towelites, our first Box Office Flop of the Summer. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, the newest film from director Guy Ritchie, tanked as it made it’s debut this past weekend. The film was estimated to cost $175 million and only took in $14.7 million. While I doubt that means Ritchie or star Charlie Hunnam will no longer work in Hollywood, it certainly means we will probably not see a King Arthur movie again for some time.
The big winner this weekend was Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. The film took the #1 spot again this past weekend by earning another $63 million. This puts the domestic total over $250 million. You can see the rest of the Top Ten below.
1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 $63 million
2. Snatched $17.5 million
3. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword $14.7 million
4. The Fate of the Furious $5.3 million
5. The Boss Baby $4.6 million
6. Beauty and the Beast $3.9 million
7. How to Be a Latin Lover $3.8 million
8. Lowriders $2.4 million
9. The Circle $1.7 million
10. MET Opera: Der Rosenkavalier $1.7 million
Next weekend, we have the premier of Alien: Covenant. The reviews have slowly been trickling in and the consensus is that it’s a gory thrill ride. As a long time fan of the Alien series, I really hope it continues the mythology and has lots of xenomorphic action. Find out if it takes #1 from Guardians on the next edition of Weekend Roundup.