Wonder Woman was the win that DC needed right now and moreso, it was a win for all female-driven movies, female directors, and Girl Power all around. The movie was the best origin story that we’ve seen from either Marvel or DC and it was just a fantastic thrill ride of an adventure. Congrats to Gal Gadot and Patty Jenkins for bringing in $100.5 million and taking the top spot at the Box Office this past weekend. Wonder Woman also made an additional $122 million overseas making it the biggest film opening for a female director of all-time!
The rest of the Top Ten stayed pretty consistent with the exception of newcomer, Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie. The film cost $40 million to make and landed in the 2nd spot with $23.5 million. I’d expect it to have some legs as it’s the only animated kids movie for a little while. You can see the rest of the Top Ten below.
1. Wonder Woman $100.5 million
2. Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie $23.5 million
3. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales $21.6 million
4. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 $9.7 million
5. Baywatch $8.5 million
6. Alien: Covenant $4 million
7. Everything, Everything $3.3 million
8. Snatched $1.3 million
9. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul $1.2 million
10. King Arthur: Legend of the Sword $1.2 million
So, next week should be interesting. We’re getting the premier of The Mummy; which honestly looks fantastic. I’m not sure its going to take away too much from Wonder Woman but it could certainly shake up the rest of the Top Ten. Find out where it ends up on the next edition of Weekend Roundup.