It seemed that the sci-fi actioneer, The Edge of Tomorrow, was going to be a lock for #1 at the Box Office over the weekend, yet it fell very short. The film, which starred Tom Cruise, was only able to bring in 3rd place, with a total of $29.1million; despite having wonderful reviews.
The top spot went to Young Adult novel turned movie, The Fault In Our Stars, which made over $48.2million; which I’m sure is very close to how much it cost it to make. Coming up behind it was Maleficent, which only took a slight drop from last weekend to this.
1. The Fault In Our Stars – $48.2 million
2. Maleficent – $33.5 million
3. Edge of Tomorrow – $29.1 million
4. X-Men: Days of Future Past – $14.7 million
5. A Million Ways to Die in the West – $7.1 million
6. Godzilla – $5.9 million
7. Neighbors – $5.2 million
8. Blended – $4.0 million
9. Chef – $2.6 million
10. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 – $1.9 million
Next weekend, we usher in the Boys of Summer. 22 Jump Street will make it’s premiere, and if it’s anything like the first film, I predict a $70million opening weekend. Overall, we’ve been off to a good year with revenue and it’s sure to continue as Transformers, Guardians, and Expendables still have to come out!