When you’re entering the realm of sequel territory for a 9 year old film, there’s a lot of risks involved. After that amount of time has passed, the big question is: Do audiences still care? When it comes to Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, the answer this past weekend is NO.
The movie brought in $6.5 million and was a huge disappointment, as it made it’s debut at #8. I doubt it will even make it into the Top Ten next weekend. On the other than, Guardians of the Galaxy managed to usurp the TMNT and came in at #1 with $17.6 million. It’s grand Box Office total is now over $251 million domestic. The rest of the Top Ten is below.
1. Guardians of the Galaxy $17.6 million
2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles $16.8 million
3. If I Stay $16.4 million
4. Let’s Be Cops $11 million
5. When the Game Stands Tall $9.1 million
6. The Giver $6.7 million
7. The Expendables 3 $6.6 million
8. Frank Miller’s Sin City: A Dame to Kill For $6.5 million
9. The Hundred-Foot Journey $5.6 million
10. Into the Storm $3.8 million
Next week we see the release of…nothing. Literally the only movie that comes out is that obscure horror movie, As Above Is Below. Leprechaun: Origins is out as well, but given that movie is included in the Lebrechaun blu-ray release and On Demand; I know it won’t make any money in theaters. My vote is Guardians stays at #1 again and continues to make Marvel and Disney millions and possibly billions of dollars.